The cause of many headaches and face pain can be traced back to jaw clenching or teeth grinding (bruxism). The cause of jaw clenching is not always clear but for many of us, stress and life busy-ness plays a big role.
The jaw may not seem like the most important thing to worry about but if the muscles, ligaments and tendons are out of wack, you will feel the consequences.
If unresolved, jaw clenching can result in a tight jaw or temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJD).
How do you know you are clenching your jaw?
We all grind our teeth, or clench from time to time. However, at a certain level, one has to seek help to control the habit. Here are some of the signs that will let you know if you should get your jaw looked at:
- Headaches or migraines
- Tightness in the jaw
- Constant grinding of the teeth
- Increased sensitivity in your teeth
- Flattening of the teeth
- Chipped or fractured teeth
- Lack of sleep or insomnia
If you have one or more of these symptoms, come in for a consultation before any serious issues arise from your jaw clenching. We have a variety of techniques that will help your jaw get back to normal in no time.
What massage therapy is available for jaw clenching?
At Rub we rely on two simple but effective techniques to help your jaw:
- Intra-oral myofascial triggerpoint technique. This is a brief pressure inside the mouth on medial & lateral pterygoid muscles and also masseter. It helps improve jaw mobility and reduces pain by improving blood flow to the jaw area.
- Muscle energy technique. This technique uses movements in your jaw to reduce tightness in the jaw area. It also helps to release a locked jaw and improve mobility.
- Using your breathing (which we all do anyway) we can help you bring focus to your jaw clenching. Once you’re more aware of when you’re clenching, it’s much easier to consciously stop.
Everyone in our team has some experience with jaw tension release or TMJ massage work, but specifically our specialists in the Adelaide CBD, Kent Town, Unley, Flagstaff Hill & Marryatville are Bindi, Stephen, Lee, Mitch, Sarah, Ailsa, Mellora, Nat & Alana.
To make an appointment with us, call 8357 3773 or BOOK ONLINE HERE.